Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Being Pretty

I am so sorry to those few readers out there for not posting in awhile.  Life has a way of making you forget certain things by keeping you busy and I have experienced this first hand lately.  But busy is good when you are self employed, and the balance of family and work is always one of compromise.
But I had an experience that I had to share because I think it is something that I think all women (and maybe men, too) struggle with.

So, not too long ago, I was convinced by friends to take my own portraits during a boudoir session with said friends.  While I at first hesitated, I decided to take the chance.  I have to reiterate that this is not something I'm comfortable with, being of a heavier stature.  But I had posted about another boudoir session that I had shot and had talked about how women need to, and should, feel sexy.  My friends used that to convince me, that I had to put my money where my mouth is.

So there I was, getting glammed up and sporting outfits I thought no one other than my husband would see.  I am, by nature, a goofball so sexy doesn't come easy for me.  During most of my shoot, we were all laughing.  Call it my defense mechanism.  But with the encouragement from my friends, I gave fierceness and got through it.  I felt empowered after that shoot.  It could have been the makeup and hair that I had (I was sporting a faux-hawk on the way home), or just the knowledge that I did it, but I felt good about myself for being brave enough to step in front of the camera.

Today I finished editing the photo session.  My friends look amazing, of course, and I have to say, I am quite happy with how mine turned out.

I also surprised myself.  Women have been conditioned to be critical of themselves, to never be happy with the moment and to continuously look for features to improve upon.  I am guilty of this.  I will admit it.  But getting in front of the camera, I proved my own point to myself.  Sexy doesn't mean you have to be size 2 and flawless.  Sexy is a mind set.  It's believing you are beautiful and not letting anything or anyone make you forget it.  Would I do it again?  Don't know.  Sexy also doesn't mean skimpy lingerie or nudity.  Boudoir is not for everyone.  But in the end, it was the release of that conditioning that made it fun.

I'm sharing one of the photos here... but only one.  As with my clients, I feel these sort of photos are personal.  But for you women out there... if I can do it, you can do it.  Find your inner goddess and never let her go.








Hair by Stephanie Thrasher-Collins (who also took the picture!)
Makeup by Valorie Taylor and Flawless Air Cosmetics
(my peeps :)







4 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always! Hugs, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. SONIA! you fierce fierce bitch! love your hair and makeup you are a total babe <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, love. It was fun. It helps when you have a hair stylist and makeup artist on set. ;)

      Delete